segunda-feira, 11 de novembro de 2013

Connecticut,Michigan and Wisconsin (birds)


BIRDS OF AMERICA: THE ROBIN


American Robin or Migratory Thrush

State Bird of Connecticut,Michigan and Wisconsin

By John James Audubon,
F. R. SS. L. & E.

VOLUME III.

AMERICAN ROBIN  (OR MIGRATORY THRUSH. )
[American Robin.]

TURDUS MIGRATORIUS, Linn.
[Turdus migratorius.]
PLATE CXLII.--MALE, FEMALE, YOUNG, AND NEST.
The first land-bird seen by me, when I stepped upon the rugged shores of Labrador, was the Robin, and its joyful notes were the first that saluted my ear. Large patches of unmelted snow still dappled the surface of that wild country; and although vegetation was partially renewed, the chillness of the air was so peculiarly penetrating, that it brought to the mind a fearful anxiety for the future. The absence of trees, properly so called, the barren aspect of all around, the sombre mantle of the mountainous distance that hung along the horizon, excited the most melancholy feelings; and I could scarcely refrain from shedding tears when I heard the song of the Thrush, sent there as if to reconcile me to my situation. That song brought with it a thousand pleasing associations referring to the beloved land of my youth, and soon inspired me with resolution to persevere in my hazardous enterprise.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário