terça-feira, 23 de abril de 2013

Word of the day: CUDGEL+ idioms...


Cudgel: porrete, cacete, bordão, bater com cacete
Synonyms: bat, baton, billy, billy club, bludgeon, cane, club, nightstick

“…a farmer armed with a cudgel drove us off his land… (www.merriam-webster.com)

*************************************
Miss the point: não entender o que realmente significa o que se está lendo ou ouvindo, não entender o que realmente significa algo
“I think you missed the point, so let me explain what I meant.”
“If she thinks it's losing the money that bothers me then she's missing the point. It's being treated like a fool that bothers me.”

*************************************
win-win / lose-lose - vitória na certa, só se pode vencer / derrota na certa,  só se pode perder (Let’s do it. This is a win-win situation. / Susan was desperate because she was in a lose-lose situation.)
wind up - terminar algo, acabar ficando em uma determinada situação (You could wind up dead...) 
window of opportunity - pequena chance, lapso de tempo em que se tem uma oportunidade (This morning I had this brief window of opportunity and I was able to get my manager’s signature.)
wipe (something) off the map - “tirar algo do mapa”, sumir com algo
wipe out  - destruir completamente, fazer sumir

*************************************

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário